Wednesday, January 21, 2009

ALEX site

Upon entering the ALEX website there are 8 different screens to choose from and explore. The first is courses of study section which allows you to explore the different fields of teaching and gives descriptions of each field for each grade level. The second is a web links page where people can go to find content standards. In this section there are three taps to choose from; one being for teachers, the next for administrators, and the last for students. The next section is for lesson plans. In this section teachers can search for lesson plans by subject or by author, title, and school. They can also create their own lesson plan using their own personal workspace. The next section is a search engine. Here people can search in general using the ALEX/Thinkfinity tab, or they can narrow their search using a given search category.

The next section is your personal workspace where you can create lesson plans, web pages, or store information. The next section is for profession learning. This section gives links to find professional development opportunities, teaching and learning tools, the latest news, best practices and more. The next section is called distance learning which takes you to the ACCESS site. ACCESS stands for Alabama Connecting Classrooms, Educators, and Students Statewide. ACCESS is providing opportunities for students statewide to engage in Advanced Placement (AP), elective, and other courses to which they may not otherwise have access. The last section is called the Help section. It simply tells you how to create and account and gives answers to any questions that you may have.

I think that the ALEX web site is going to play a big part in my classroom. I think that I will use it often. I like how I could search lesson plans by subject or create my own. I also like the idea of having my own personal workspace online to store and create things. The sections directed towards students will also be helpful. I think my favorite part of the whole site is the lesson plan section! I am going to have a lot of fun with this website!

1 comment: