Monday, April 20, 2009

Pros and Cons of Blogging

For this assignment I chose Jessica's blog. We worked on our podcast together and share the same views on most of the topics we have been assigned. I agree with her pros and cons about classroom blogging and her ideas about some of the blog assignments we have completed throughout this semester. This semester was my first experience with blogs and I have had mixed emotions about them, but the more familiar I got with using blogs the more I realized how they can benefit the classroom.
I believe that blogs can play a positive roll in the classroom in many ways. Students today are very tech savvy so using blogs in the classroom can be a valuable way of gaining their attention. Students can easily look up missed homework assignments if they are absent. They can access links to educational websites and access skill building exercises for certain subjects. They can also keep up with their classmates using their classroom blog.
Although there are many pros to having a classroom blog, there are also many cons. Some students may not have access to a computer when they go home so the blog would be of no use to them. Also, a blog may not interest some students so they would never check it. There is also the problem of privacy. Some parents may be against having a classroom blog so that would be a tough obstacle to overcome.
Overall the pros and cons of blogging are clear to see. The cons may be a little hard to overcome, but I think the outcome of having a classroom blog would be a great addition to any classroom.

1 comment: